MB Crusher drum cutter: the solution for construction projects on bridges as well as major roads
Construction projects on bridges, tunnels and footbridges can be challenging for project managers, especially when construction work is carried out in city centres and on major roads.
The MB Crusher drum cutter provides a solution to this problem thanks to its precision, its compact size and the fact that it guarantees excellent performance even when working with difficult materials and on challenging construction sites.
Why are MB drum cutters the best solution for certain construction sites around the world?
These machines are extremely versatile and ideal for:
- the lowering and levelling of roads and bridges as well as river beds, where they are capable of operating underwater as well;
- profiling work in confined spaces for the construction of pipelines in urban sites;
- profiling rock walls in quarries and mines;
- the demolition of buildings and removal of the bases of the columns and the foundation plinths in highly-populated areas;
- to loosen and excavate the land.
This is how our customers have used our range of products on their construction sites:
Germany. Work was required at the historic Augustusbrücke bridge over the Elbe in Dresden to remove the concrete which filled the arches and had caused structural damage. It was necessary to find suitable equipment for the Liebherr 918 excavator already on site.
The MB-R800 provided the solution which the customer successfully used in two stages:
- cutting the diagonal cement lines of the bridge to free up the expansion joints. A challenging operation, where the MB Crusher drum cutter has been used without causing too many vibrations or any damage to the structure;
- the MB-R800 drum cutter was then used to remove some of the cement that filled the arches of the bridge, digging as far as 3 metres deep.
Another example in Germany, this time in Berlin, was the complete demolition of an old bridge over the busy AVUS motorway, which had to be carried out without causing any interruption to the traffic.
The first stage of the project was completed with large machines, while the MB drum cutters (an MB-R800, suitable for excavators weighing between 10 and 22 tons, and an MB-R900 suitable for excavators weighing between 19 and 35 tons) were used to remove the various layers of cement and tarmac from the bridge.
In Corsica the MB-R500 drum cutter - the smallest in the range - was used at 5 metres above the sea.
The challenge was the construction site itself:
- with very little room for manoeuvre;
- located between the land and the sea;
- where only a compact machine could be used.
An MB-R500 drum cutter installed on the Bobcat E85 midi excavator.
Small, practical and compact, the smallest in the MB range is extremely versatile as it can be customized with:
- the rotation kit enabling the operator to rotate the cutter directly from the cab without stopping work;
- the cutting depth adjustment kit;
- the dust suppression kit;
- the drum cover kit to reduce dust emission.
In Witzeeze, Germany, the lowering of a river bed was necessary to increase water capacity and prevent it from flooding. This project involved the removal of some of the concrete walls of a bridge and some of the rock found at a depth of one and a half metres at the bottom of the river. For this challenging operation the customer used the MB-R700 drum cutter as it is capable of operating underwater without damaging its hydraulic and mechanical systems, as with all the other MB crushers.
Where there is a challenge, MB Crushers drum cutters will provide the solution for managing projects where the following are required:
- precision grinding;
- respect for the specific environment;
- compliance with regulations;
- reducing costs and time.